Sunday 22 April 2012

Ramadan


In the blogs previous to this I have looked at the types of food that are eaten during religious festivals. In this blog I am looking at Ramadan. This is a religious festival where Muslims abstain from food by fasting. During Ramadan Muslims eat only twice a day, once before sunrise and once after sunset. During sunlight hours, Muslims have to refrain from any eating, drinking or smoking. Muslims fast during Ramadan because Allah has commanded them to fast. “O you who believe! Observing As-Saum (the fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqun (pious)” [al- Baqarah 2:183].
In a bid to understand what fasting is like for Muslims, I have interviewed a young Muslim woman who has been fasting for twelve years now.

1) In a couple of sentences what does Ramadan mean to you?
I know it may sound cliché but, for me Ramadan is a time that allows me to appreciate all the small things in life which I often take advantage of. For example clean water, a place to live in and the liberty to open up my fridge and have anything I want to eat. When I crave my favorite foods all day it allows me to realise that some people do not have any food at all. Luckily for me at the end of the day there is a delicious meal to look forward to.

2) What age did you start fasting?
I started fasting when I was 9.

3) Describe a typical day when you are fasting.
In order to fast I have to wake up before the crack of dawn (and before the first daily prayer) and eat a nutritious and filling breakfast. I typically eat some fruit, and maybe some bread. Yoghurt is always recommended and it helps keep me going and I do not get as thirsty. I then pray and sleep. I usually sleep as much as I can unless I have somewhere to be and when I am home again I end up taking a nap. I try and pray five times a day since this a daily requirement. I then wait patiently for sunset at which point I can eat again!

4) What would you say are the major difficulties you experience when fasting?
When fasting my main problem is thirst, I tend to get thirsty rather than hungry. As the days go by I find myself going shopping and buying all the foods I would like to eat but not having the room in my stomach to eat it all at the end of the day. However, as the days progress it does get easier.

5) How do you deal with your cravings?
I deal with my cravings ... not very successfully. I spend a lot of time thinking about food and then I try to not think about it, but it does make the meal at the end of the evening more amazing. Everyone usually eats whatever they want at the end of the day without any protest. My mum who is happy to give everyone exactly what they want :)


6) Why do you fast and abstain from food?
As a Muslim I am required to fast in this month. Fasting teaches a Muslim to appreciate what he/she has, to have patience and to sacrifice. In this month we pray as much as we can in order to receive forgiveness.


7) What food do you traditionally eat during Ramadan?
Traditional foods to eat during Ramadan are anything that is good for you, high in fiber and nutrients. Anything that will help you get through the day. When breaking our fast we usually eat dates since dates are very sweet and the instant rush of sugar proves to be beneficial for an individual who has been fasting all day.

8) When you break your fast do you binge?
Yes, after a day of fasting I do binge I just can't help it

9) In you opinion does bingeing defeat the purpose of fasting
It does defeat the purpose to a certain extent but the purpose of fasting is also appreciating what I have and when binging I assure you I am definitely appreciating what I have

10) What food do you traditionally eat during Eid?
The meal on Eid day has to make up for everything we have missed out on all month so it has to be amazing! Our typical menu includes: chicken tikka, samosas, kebabs, pilou rice, chart masala, lamb stew and having a few deserts is a must!! We usually eat: kheer, sweet rice and trifle. The meal on Eid day usually consists of what everyone loves to eat. Food is a special part of celebrating Eid-ul Fitr.

It is clear that fasting takes a lot of determination and will power! Personally I am not sure if I could fast because of the discipline needed. After learning that Muslims open their fast with dates, I decided to find out more. One of the reasons Muslims eat dates is because it is a good staple food and it is rich in nutrients so it provides instant energy. The second reason is that dates have a religious importance for Muslims and they are eaten because the prophet Muhammad would break his fast by eating dates.


Not everyone would find dates appealing but Muslims eat a variety of dates during Ramadan and Eid. The main types are: walnut stuffed dates, almond stuffed dates and chocolate covered dates. Personally I really like the idea of a chocolate covered dates, chocolate on the outside and soft and chewy in the middle! Here is a picture to try and tempt you, if you are not already tempted:


Walnut stuffed dates




No comments:

Post a Comment