Sunday 4 March 2012

Food & Religious Festivals!!

To My Fellow Food Fanatics,


The reason I have chosen to look at Food & Religious Festivals is because since I was little they have always been a magical experience! Whenever there was a big festival such as Diwali or Christmas, I remember my mum taking me and my sister to the Midlands where the rest of our family lives. Once we would get there my mum and aunties would immediately begin to cook a feast of delicious foods! It would all take hours to prepare, so me, my sister and cousins would try to preoccupy ourselves with games and television. But that never worked as the rich aromas would fill all the rooms in the house. 

So instead me, my sister and my cousins would all take it in turns to go into the kitchen and ask "Is it made yet??". The first four or five times we would get a nice reply saying "nearly" or "not too long now". When we asked the sixth time, well we were greeted with a scowl that said "if you don't get out of my kitchen now you will not be eating tonight"! So we would skulk out of the kitchen and wait quietly to be summoned. Finally, after what seemed like a DAY, the food would be made! For some reason they always made enough food to feed an army. For example if we were celebrating diwali, there would be samosa with chutney and pakora for a starter. Which would then be followed with a spicy curry and roti and to end the meal we would have Indian sweets for dessert.What I loved most about these meals were that once we were all around the table everyone would be so busy eating that the table would be silent. The only sounds would be ummm or ooOOoo.

So I have decided to look at religious festivals because they are made up of great food and family gatherings. So here is a list of some of the festivals I will be looking at:
Christmas, Easter, Dia de los Muertos- Day of the Dead, Vaisakhi and  Ramadan.

No comments:

Post a Comment